Preparation Time: 1.5 Hours
Serving: 6 People
- 250g Whole Urad Dal (Black Lentils)
- 10g Rajma (Red Kidney Beans)
- 50g Channa Dal (Bengal Gram Dal, Also Ok To Use Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans)
- 50g Ginger, Peeled
- 5 Garlic Cloves
- 5 Green Chillies
- Salt To Taste
- 100g Ghee
- 2 Tspn Cumin
- 2 – 3 Garlic Cloves
- Pinch Asafoetida Powder
- 2 Tspn Fenugreek Powder
- 200g Tomato Paste Or Puree
- 100g Butter
- 50 Ml Cream
- 0.5 Tspn Or More Chilli Powder
- 0.5 Tspngaram Masala
- Soak All Of The Lentils (Urad, Rajma And Channa Dal) In Water For 6 Hours, Or Preferably Overnight. Wash Four Times, Changing The Water Each Time.
- Chop The Garlic, Ginger And Green Chillies Finely.
- Boil All Of The Lentils With The Ginger, Garlic, Green Chillies And Salt, And Simmer Until Lentils Are Well Cooked. Drain Off Excess Water And Mash The Lentils Lightly With The Back Of A Ladle.
- To Make The Tadka, Heat The Ghee Or Oil In A Heavy Pan Until Hot, And Add The Cumin Seeds And Fenugreek Seeds, And Stir Until They Crackle.
- Add The Garlic And Fry Until Beginning To Colour. Add The Asafoetida Powder And Tomato Puree And Stir For A Minute.
- Add To The Cooked Dal, Mixing Well. Bring The Dal To The Boil Again, Adding The Chilli Powder, Butter And Cream. Simmer Gently For 45 Minutes.
- Add The Garam Masala And Adjust Seasonings And Garnish.
Cook It Up is a weekly cooking column. Recipes being posted in the column is crafted by Gujarat’s Number 1 Chef, Aman Tandon. Column is being published on BuddyBits.com every Tuesday. Follow www.buddybits.com to read more articles from this column.