1. Surat is the richest city in India ahead of Bangalore and Madras having highest per capita income in the country. The homes of Surat have been declared most prosperous by National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER) and Future Capital Research’s Roopa Purushothaman in their latest study. The average income of a household in the city 450,000 per year. Who knew?
2. It’s a fact that Surat is a diamond city and it’s a billion-dollar business. World’s 95% of rough diamonds are cut and polished here. Surat’s business trade contributes to 90% of the total national export of diamonds. The business never stops!
3. British East India company set its first footsteps in Surat in the year 1818. That’s legendary!
4. Surat has been ranked as the third cleanest city in India. In past few years it has always been in top five cleanest cities in India.
5. It’s ranked as the 4th fastest growing cities in the whole wide world! That’s right, in the entire world!.
6. Believe it or not, Surat was the first Indian city to install CCTV cameras on roads to monitor the traffic movements and also increase security. There are multiple cameras on each and every road!
7. Surat has an industrial belt on the coast of the Arabian Sea called as Hazira. Hazira houses heavy engineering companies like ESSAR, ADANI, RELIANCE, ONGC, SHELL, L&T, KRIBHCO, GAIL, NTPC, GSPC, ABG SHIPYARD and many others.
8. Surat latest registered GDP growth is 11.5%. It’s highest in India!
9. Surat has been awarded the best city award in the year 2013 by Annual Survey Of Indian City System(ASICS)
10. The Surat Municipal Corporation (S.M.C) is the nation’s richest municipal corporation. Awesome!
11. Surat has the maximum number of bridges in India. Along with the name ‘Diamond city’, Surat’s also knows as the city of flyovers!
12. Surat has the highest per capita income in the country. The homes of Surat have been declared most prosperous by National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER) and Future Capital Research’s Roopa Purushothaman in their latest study. The average income of a household in the city 450,000 per year.
13. There are dishes that you’ll only get in Surat such as Locho, Ghaari etc. They’re absolutely mouth-watering and you need to visit Surat especially for it and it’s absolutely worth it!
14. It’s surprising to see the name of city Surat mentioned in the book of Mahabharata where Lord Krishna made a halt on his way to Mathura to Dwarka.
15. The Surat Railway station is also awarded as the cleanest railway station in 2016 and a major upgrade is underway to develop it so that it could match the international standards.
So, whenever you visit Surat, make sure you don’t return capturing a color or two in your heart.